If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get cheaper car insurance rates in Louisville is to regularly compare prices from companies who can sell car insurance in Kentucky. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Try to comprehend policy coverages and the changes you can make to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that cause rate increases such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and bad credit can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
One piece of advice is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same amount of coverage on every price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many carriers as you can. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Sad but true, over 70% of Kentucky drivers renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and nearly half have never shopped around. The average driver in the United States could save an average of $850 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t believe how much money they would save if they just switched companies.
Quoting more affordable coverage in Louisville is not as hard as you think. If you are insured now or want to find a cheaper company, use these cost-cutting techniques to reduce premiums while maximizing coverage. You just have to know the proper methods to compare insurance rates from many different companies.
Getting a cheap price on Dodge Ram insurance can be quick and easy. The only thing you need to do is take a couple of minutes comparing rate quotes to find out which insurance company has cheaper Louisville car insurance quotes.
It’s so simple to compare insurance quotes online makes it a waste of time to drive to insurance agents’ offices. Doing it all online makes this process obsolete unless your situation requires the trained guidance of a licensed agent. It is possible with some companies comparison shop online but purchase the actual policy in an agency.
The companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in Louisville, KY. To locate the best car insurance in Louisville, KY, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Insurance coverage analysis
The rate table displayed below outlines a range of coverage costs for Dodge Ram models. Having knowledge of how insurance prices are formulated can benefit drivers when making smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$244||$342||$376||$22||$112||$1,096||$91|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$276||$416||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$276||$416||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$276||$416||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$276||$416||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$276||$416||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$276||$416||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$276||$416||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$276||$416||$376||$22||$112||$1,202||$100|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$308||$490||$376||$22||$112||$1,308||$109|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$308||$566||$376||$22||$112||$1,384||$115|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$308||$566||$376||$22||$112||$1,384||$115|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Kentucky minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Information does not factor in your specific Louisville location which can modify coverage rates considerably.
Comparison of insurance rates by gender
The information below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Ram premium costs for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high cost, insuring your vehicle is required for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific limits of liability if you drive a vehicle. In Kentucky these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Dodge Ram, almost every bank will stipulate that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Dodge at a more expensive rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects your car and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly for liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so you should quote rates once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Cheaper rates with these ten price cutting discounts
Some companies don’t always publicize the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the best known and the more hidden credits available to bring down your rates.
- Save over 55 – Seniors can get better car insurance rates.
- Early Signing – A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to your current Ram insurance policy expiration. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Passive Restraints – Options like air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings up to 30%.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not all companies offer life insurance, but some may give you lower premium rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just owning your own home can earn you a little savings because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a class that teaches safe driver techniques may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds with no claims or accidents pay less compared to bad drivers.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles with ABS braking systems or traction control can avoid accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
Just know that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it’s just not the way it works.
The example below compares Dodge Ram insurance costs with and without discounts. The prices are based on a female driver, no claims, a clean driving record, Kentucky state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, marriage, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, and homeowner discounts applied.
A list of car insurance companies and some of the discounts include:
- American Family offers premium reductions for air bags, Steer into Savings, defensive driver, accident-free, and early bird.
- Nationwide offers discounts including defensive driving, business or organization, anti-theft, good student, easy pay, accident-free, and Farm Bureau membership.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including claim-free, good driver, defensive driver, accident-free, multi-policy, and good student.
- 21st Century may include discounts for student driver, teen driver, air bags, homeowners, early bird, and automatic seat belts.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for teen driver, alternative fuel, good student, youthful driver, electronic funds transfer, and homeowner.
- Allstate may have discounts that include premier discount, senior citizen, anti-theft, EZ pay plan discount, new car, and passive restraint.
When quoting, ask each company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in every state. To find companies that offer many of these discounts in Kentucky, click here.
What is the best car insurance coverage?
When quoting and comparing the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn’t a “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are unique to you and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For instance, these questions may help you determine whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- What is GAP insurance?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
When to talk to an insurance agency
Some consumers still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision Good agents are trained risk managers and help file insurance claims. A good thing about price shopping on the web is that you can obtain the best rates and still choose a local agent. And buying from local agents is important especially in Louisville.
After filling out this short form, your coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Louisville who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. You never need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered immediately to you. If you need to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
If you’re trying to find local Louisville agents, it’s helpful to know the different agency structures and how they function. Agents are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either one can handle insurance, but it is a good idea to know why they differ since it can affect which type of agent you select.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are appointed with more than one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with an assortment of companies depending on which coverage is best. If your premiums go up, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to find a new agent.
If you need cheaper insurance rates, we recommend you get some free quotes from at least one independent agent so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Listed below is a partial list of independent agencies in Louisville that may be able to provide comparison quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents generally can only insure with one company such as American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so always compare other rates. They are well trained on their products and sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Below are exclusive agencies in Louisville that are able to give rate quotes.
Brandon Warren – State Farm Insurance Agent
12342 Shelbyville Rd – Louisville, KY 40243 – (502) 254-9300 – View Map
Choosing a insurance agency shouldn’t rely on just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Is coverage determined by price?
Upon receiving positive feedback to any questions you may have and locked in a price quote, most likely you have located an auto insurance agent that is reputable and can provide insurance coverage. Just understand that you have the power to cancel your policy for any reason so don’t assume that you are permanently stuck with any particular company for the full policy term.
Specifics of your insurance policy
Having a good grasp of your insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are typical coverages found on most insurance policies.
Coverage for medical expenses – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for short-term medical expenses like X-ray expenses, hospital visits and prosthetic devices. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover all vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Collision coverage – Collision insurance covers damage to your Ram from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things such as rolling your car, colliding with a tree, sustaining damage from a pot hole, backing into a parked car and hitting a parking meter. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your Ram to save money on collision insurance.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Dodge Ram.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (Kentucky limits are 25/50/10), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Normally these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Comprehensive insurance – This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things like a broken windshield, rock chips in glass, theft and hail damage. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for liability – Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/10 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability insurance covers things such as legal defense fees, structural damage and court costs. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Kentucky state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The next chart shows why the minimum limit may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
The most affordable rates come from being thorough
You just learned some good ideas how you can save on Dodge Ram insurance in Louisville. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even be surprised to find that the best premium rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
When getting Louisville car insurance quotes online, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped collision coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost, but do not skimp to save money.
For more information, take a look at these articles:
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Louisville Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Louisville Auto Insurance Rates for Immigrants? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Unemployed Drivers in Louisville? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)