The best way to get budget Subaru Forester insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies that sell auto insurance in Louisville. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, try to understand what coverages are included in your policy and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices such as tickets, at-fault accidents, and an unacceptable credit history can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Second, obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from many different companies. View insurance agents
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to determine if you can save on Forester insurance in Louisville. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your existing policy. Submit the application along with any required down payment to your new company or agent. Once the application is submitted, place the new certificate verifying coverage with your registration paperwork.
The most important part of this process is to try to use similar coverage information on each price quote and and to get prices from all possible companies. This enables a fair price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Unbelievably, nearly 70% of Kentucky drivers have remained with the same auto insurance company for well over three years, and just under half have never compared rates from other carriers. Many drivers in the United States could save an average of nearly $859 each year just by comparing rates, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to compare rates.
Just keep in mind that more quotes increases your odds of finding more affordable insurance.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Louisville, KY. If you want cheaper car insurance in Louisville, KY, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Insurance coverage analysis
The table displayed next outlines detailed analysis of insurance coverage prices for Subaru Forester models. Learning a little about how auto insurance premiums are determined can be valuable when making informed decisions when comparing rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Forester X AWD||$272||$498||$292||$18||$88||$1,168||$97|
|Forester X Premium AWD||$272||$498||$292||$18||$88||$1,168||$97|
|Forester X Premium AWP AWD||$272||$498||$292||$18||$88||$1,168||$97|
|Forester X Limited Edition AWD||$304||$498||$292||$18||$88||$1,200||$100|
|Forester X Limited Edition W/Navigation AWD||$304||$586||$292||$18||$88||$1,288||$107|
|Forester XT AWD||$304||$586||$292||$18||$88||$1,288||$107|
|Forester XT Limited Edition AWD||$304||$586||$292||$18||$88||$1,288||$107|
|Forester XT Limited Edition W/Navigation AWD||$304||$586||$292||$18||$88||$1,288||$107|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Kentucky minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and homeowner. Premium costs do not factor in specific location which can modify coverage rates noticeably.
The example below highlights how deductible selection and can affect Subaru Forester yearly insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The premiums are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Violations and accidents raise rates
The chart below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault accidents can affect Subaru Forester auto insurance costs for different age categories. The premiums are based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Comparison of full coverage and liability-only policies
The information below illustrates the comparison of Subaru Forester insurance premiums with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The rates are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no specific rule to eliminate physical damage insurance, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Subaru Forester replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $2,000 after the deductible is paid. If premium cost is more than $200 a year for physical damage coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are a few cases where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage in place.
Protect more than your vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost for a Subaru Forester in Louisville, paying for car insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In Kentucky these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Forester with a loan, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may insure your Subaru at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects your Subaru and your assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your Forester definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average driver in Kentucky is currently overpaying as much as $869 every year so it’s important to compare rates every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Lower Your Louisville Insurance Rates
Many things are used when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, but some are more transparent such as your credit history or your commute time.
The factors shown below are just a few of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your rate level.
File policy claims and pay more – If you frequently file small claims, you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in Kentucky generally give the lowest premiums to drivers who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Having a spouse is a bonus – Walking down the aisle may save some money when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other usually means you are more responsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
How much liability – The liability coverage on your policy will provide protection in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for damages from an accident. This coverage provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap compared to comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
Men tend to take more risk – Statistics demonstrate women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are BETTER drivers than men. Females and males cause accidents at a similar rate, but the males have accidents that have higher claims. They also have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving.
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Subaru Forester insurance costs for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Higher comp and collision deductibles are cheaper – Physical damage protection, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your Subaru. Examples of some claims that would be covered are a broken windshield, collision with an animal, or theft. The deductibles you choose define the amount the insured will be required to pay if the claim is covered. The more of the claim you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the better rate you will receive.
Youthful drivers cost more – Young drivers in Kentucky have been known to get distracted easily behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Older people are shown to be more cautious, cause fewer claims and accidents, and are safer drivers.
The following chart uses these variables: single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Your address can push rates up or down – Residing in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when it comes to auto insurance. Less people living in that area means less chance of accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Urban drivers tend to have more traffic problems and longer commute times. More time commuting means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
Insurance losses for a Subaru Forester – Auto insurance companies study historical loss data when they set coverage costs for each model. Models that historically have higher frequency or amount of claims will have higher rates. The next table illustrates the historical loss data for Subaru Forester vehicles.
For each coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is a value of 100. Values below 100 represent a good loss history, while values that are above 100 show a trend for more claims or statistically larger losses.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Subaru Forester 4dr 4WD||71||80||108||72||76||68|
|Subaru Forester 4dr 4WD with Eyesight||74||66||118||77||78||53|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Lower-cost Subaru Forester insurance in Louisville
Buying insurance is not cheap, but you may be missing some discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain credits will be shown at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be inquired about in order for you to get them. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are just wasting money.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Online Discount – A few larger online companies will provide an incentive for buying your policy digitally online.
- Defensive Driver – Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Onboard Data Collection – Insureds who allow their insurance company to analyze where and when they drive by using a telematics device such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate may see discounts if they show good driving skills.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- No Claims – Insureds with no claims or accidents can save substantially in comparison to bad drivers.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen with less frequency and earn discounts up to 10% off your Louisville auto insurance quote.
- Save with a New Car – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save you some money because newer vehicles are generally safer.
One last thing about discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
The information below shows the comparison of Subaru Forester insurance prices with and without discounts applied to the rates. The premiums are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, Kentucky state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
Car insurance companies that have many of the previously listed discounts may include but are not limited to:
Before buying, ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in Louisville. To find insurance companies with significant discounts in Louisville, click this link.
What if I want to buy from local Louisville insurance agencies?
Many drivers still like to buy from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the great benefits of comparing insurance online is that drivers can save money and get the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Louisville who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent directly to your email. You can find lower rates without requiring a lot of work. If you need to quote rates from one company in particular, you would need to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding a good provider is decision based upon more than just a low price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Is the agent properly licensed in Kentucky?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Louisville?
Best car insurance agent in Louisville
When finding a local Louisville insurance agency, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents in Louisville can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can only place business with one company like State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. They usually cannot compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Louisville that can give you price quote information.
Duanne Hawkins Cooper – State Farm Insurance Agent
2152 Glenworth Ave – Louisville, KY 40218 – (502) 458-0258 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type are not employed by any specific company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If premiums increase, they simply move your policy to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing insurance prices, you should always get some free quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
The following is a short list of independent agencies in Louisville who can help you get price quote information.
Nationwide Insurance: Christopher James Parsons Agency
10300 Brookridge Village Blvd Ste 103 – Louisville, KY 40291 – (502) 239-5054 – View Map
After talking to the agent and getting acceptable answers to any questions you may have in addition to an acceptable price estimate, most likely you have located an insurance agency that will adequately provide insurance. Just understand that once you purchase a policy you can terminate coverage when you choose so never assume you are locked into a specific agent for the full policy term.
Quote more and you will save more
You just learned some good ideas how to get a better price on Subaru Forester insurance in Louisville. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Louisville auto insurance, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Louisville auto insurance quotes. You may even find the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies may have significantly lower auto insurance rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Lower-priced Subaru Forester insurance in Louisville can be purchased from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agencies.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where an insured dropped physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.
Additional detailed information is located at these sites:
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for 17 Year Olds in Louisville? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)