It’s safe to assume that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. Drivers who get price comparisons are very likely to move their business because there is a good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A recent survey discovered that drivers who made a habit of comparing rates saved as much as $865 annually compared to people who never compared rates.
If finding the cheapest rates on Ford Expedition insurance is your objective, then knowing how to get free comparison quotes and analyze coverage rates can make shopping around easier.
The best way we recommend to get cheaper Ford Expedition insurance is to start comparing prices regularly from providers in Louisville. Price quotes can be compared by completing these steps.
- Try to learn about how your policy works and the steps you can take to keep rates low. Many things that cause high rates like traffic citations and a substandard credit score can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article gives more details to help prevent costly coverage and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices for many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Provide notification to your current company to cancel your existing policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new insurer. As soon as you receive it, keep your new proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location.
An important bit of advice to remember is to make sure you’re comparing identical coverages on every quote request and and to look at as many carriers as you can. This provides a level playing field and many rates to choose from.
Most companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive give prices online. Doing online price comparisons for Ford Expedition insurance in Louisville is pretty painless as you simply enter your coverage information as detailed in the form. Behind the scenes, the company’s rating system will obtain credit information and your driving record and quotes a price. This makes comparing rates easy, and it’s also necessary to compare as many rates as possible if you want to get the best rate on auto insurance.
If you want to find out how much you can save on auto insurance, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you complete the form with the insurance coverages as shown on your current policy. This guarantees you will receive comparison quotes using the exact same coverages.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Louisville, KY. If you want to find cheap car insurance in Louisville, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Ford Expedition insurance analysis
The data table shown below outlines detailed analysis of insurance coverage prices for Ford Expedition models. Having a better idea how auto insurance premiums are established helps drivers make smart choices when buying a policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Expedition SSV 2WD||$216||$342||$292||$18||$88||$956||$80|
|Expedition XLT 2WD||$244||$416||$292||$18||$88||$1,058||$88|
|Expedition SSV 4WD||$244||$416||$292||$18||$88||$1,058||$88|
|Expedition XLT 4WD||$244||$416||$292||$18||$88||$1,058||$88|
|Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD||$244||$490||$292||$18||$88||$1,132||$94|
|Expedition Limited 2WD||$244||$490||$292||$18||$88||$1,132||$94|
|Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD||$244||$490||$292||$18||$88||$1,132||$94|
|Expedition King Ranch 4WD||$272||$490||$292||$18||$88||$1,160||$97|
|Expedition King Ranch 2WD||$272||$490||$292||$18||$88||$1,160||$97|
|Expedition Limited 4WD||$272||$490||$292||$18||$88||$1,160||$97|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Kentucky minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Price estimates do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can impact auto insurance rates considerably.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The example below illustrates the difference between Ford Expedition premium costs with and without physical damage coverage. Data assumes no claims, a clean driving record, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
When to stop paying for full coverage
There is no set guideline for eliminating physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s say your Ford Expedition replacement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $300 annually for physical damage coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some conditions where eliminating full coverage is not a good plan. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of Ford Expedition insurance, maintaining insurance is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In Kentucky these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Ford Expedition, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects both your car and your assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Louisville is overpaying over $865 each year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Five Tips to Get Cheaper Louisville Insurance Costs
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the things that help calculate your insurance rates. If you understand what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower insurance prices. Many factors are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, although some other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
- Drivers with good credit save on insurance – An insured’s credit score is likely to be a major factor in your rate calculation. If your credit rating could use some work, you could potentially save money when insuring your Ford Expedition by improving your credit score. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims than drivers with worse credit.
- Gaps in coverage mean higher premiums – Driving with no insurance is a big no-no and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time. You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Kentucky motor vehicle department.
- Consider raising deductibles – Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply could be a windshield broken by a bird, animal collisions, and damage from wind. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Premiums increase with driving tickets – Your driving citation history can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Drivers who don’t get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Even one ticket may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers who have gotten license-revoking citations like reckless driving or DUI may find that they have to to maintain a SR-22 with their state’s licensing department in order to legally drive a vehicle.
The example below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions can affect Ford Expedition annual premium costs for each different age category. The rate quotes are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Males are more aggressive – Statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Both sexes cause accidents in similar numbers, but the men tend to have higher claims. Men also tend to get cited for more serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Male teenagers cause the most accidents and therefore pay the highest rates.
The information below visualizes the comparison of Ford Expedition insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data assumes no accidents, no driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, single status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Insurance loss data for a Ford Expedition – Insurance companies study historical loss data to help set a rate to offset losses. Vehicles that the data determines to have increased claim numbers or amounts will be charged more to insure.
The next table illustrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Ford Expedition vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles combined as an average is set at 100. Numbers that are below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while values that are above 100 indicate more frequent claims or statistically larger claims.
Ford Expedition Insurance Claim Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford Expedition 4dr 2WD 67 88 82 55 45 70 Ford Expedition 4dr 4WD 70 98 90 54 62 56 Ford Expedition EL 4dr 2WD 74 104 97 52 Ford Expedition EL 4dr 4WD 88 96 110 63 60 96BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance quotes and discounts
Some insurers do not list all possible discounts very clearly, so we break down a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden ways to save on insurance. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Louisville Homeowners Discount – Owning a house in Louisville can help you save on insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Organization Discounts – Affiliation with a qualifying organization could trigger savings on your bill.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles can earn cheaper rates.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Save over 55 – Drivers over the age of 55 are able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment can earn a discount up to 10% with a few insurance companies.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not really a discount, but a few companies such as State Farm and Progressive allow you one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Cautious Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Taking time to complete a driver safety class can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and that can save you a little bit as well.
Drivers should understand that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
The example below illustrates the comparison of Ford Expedition auto insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the premium. The information is based on a male driver, no accidents, no driving violations, Kentucky state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
A few companies that may offer quotes with most of these discounts include:
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies how you can save money. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in your area. If you would like to view companies that offer many of these discounts in Louisville, follow this link.
You may need specialized insurance coverage
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. You are unique so your insurance should reflect that
For instance, these questions may help you determine if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Louisville?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Is a blown tire covered by insurance?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Compare rates but still have a local neighborhood Louisville car insurance agent
A lot of people would rather sit down with an agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get lower prices and still choose a local agent.
Once you complete this short form, the quote information is sent to participating agents in Louisville who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to contact any agents because prices are sent immediately to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates and work with a local agent. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Selecting an provider needs to be determined by more than just the price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Which family members are covered?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Louisville?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- How often do they review coverages?
Not all car insurance agents are the same
When finding a reputable agency, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Insurance agents are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Agents of this type can only write with one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are very knowledgeable on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive agencies in Louisville that can give you rate quotes.
These type of agents are not required to write business for one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through lots of different companies and find you the best rates. If premiums increase, your policy is moved internally which is easy for the insured. If you are comparing insurance prices, you definitely need to check rates from several independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Louisville that are able to give price quote information.
Get the best coverage at the most affordable price
You just learned a lot of information how to compare Ford Expedition insurance premium rates in Louisville. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
When buying insurance coverage, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
Additional detailed information can be read in the articles below:
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Infrequent Drivers in Louisville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Teachers in Louisville? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Uninsured Drivers in Louisville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Louisville Car Insurance for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)